Week Ten

Week Ten: Moving in Closer


This week I have began working more directly with atmospheric qualities in the environment including fog, lighting and particle effects. Using Fog as allowed me to create the illusion of depth of field and not allow the player to see across the entire environment from where they stand. This will help me apply focus and lead the player more directly to aspects of the environment that I want to be noticed and interacted with. The particle effects add a second level of atmospheric distortion that adds more movement and interest to an otherwise fairly static environment. I will continue to experiment with these factors as I move through the different scenes as well.


I have also been focusing on populating the spaces in the environment with as much information, and substance as possible. I am using a multitude of models and objects that hold symbolism to imply narrative. I am making objects that use iconography and pop-culture reference to allow the viewer to make connections and create narrative based on their personal inclinations. Photographs, electronics and notes will tell the story as the player walks through the many spaces.


I am also finalizing plans for the installation of my project. I have secured a location on busy floor in the ART Building at The University of Texas at Austin where I will be able to install the project and have people interact with it. I will be using a large monitor and creating a physical environment that will reflect the environment within the game. I hope to transform then space by using a variety of photographic, and sculpted elements.



I want to create a space that will be intriguing enough for a passerby to interact with the game and possibly give feedback. I am also working with the restraints of the space both in terms of size, audio and technical requirements. Through the culmination of these things I hope to create a transformative space that will grab the attention of those who experience it.

Between the Cracks will be Installed from May 1st through May 2nd on the second floor of the ART Building on The University of Texas Campus. The space will be accessible to the public from 8 am to 6pm both days. I will be giving more information on the installation soon since the project will have to be complete in one month!

I will also be presenting the project in progress at the Bridging Disciplines Program Poster Session on April 18th from 2 - 4pm. This will be an opportunity to have people interact with the game and give feedback so that changes can be made before installation.

Comments

Popular Posts