Week Thirteen

Week 13: Players

This week I will be showing at the Bridging Disciplines Program Poster Session in 212 Main on The University of Texas at Austin campus. The project will not be 100% complete, as I have two more weeks before install, but will be very close! I am excited for the experience and the opportunity to have people interact with my project before its completion. 


I am primarily concerned with user functionality at the point, trying to make save points, UI buttons and UI information for the player. This will help them track their progress as they collect keys and progress through the environment. This will include information on how to play at the start and on screen way to track the players progress. I hope that these changes will positively impact the player experience and allow for a more seemless narrative. Another component I have added is timed scenes. This will account for player idle and restart the game after a set amount of time. I have also applied this component to the final scene which will only last for a short amount of time before restarting the game.

Another great improvement to the project has been the addition of the Post Processing Stack. The Post Processing Stack allows me to use things like color correction, depth of field and motion blur to really enhance the aesthetic quality of the environment. I helps to create more realistic movement, while allowing me to create a more surreal landscape. It has been insurmountable in allowing me to create the mood and ambiance that I desire. There are many different components that you can change and I have been experimenting with almost all of them. I am using a different post processing profile in each of the different scenes, as I want them to each have a unique atmosphere.


Finally, I have began working towards getting the physical parts of the installation, including furniture, wall paper and custom frames and objects that will reflect those within the game. I am trying to make as much as I can myself in order to cut cost but also stay true to the handmade quality of many components within the game environment. I am interested in how the digital and physical space will work together and how they will be interacted with by visitors. Again, this installation will be located in the UT Fine Arts building on the second floor on May 1st and 2nd!  



Comments

Popular Posts