Week Nine


Week Nine: Suggesting Narrative

This week I have been focusing on implementing the narrative more directly into the physical components of the environment. I have been working with arranging the models in the environment so that the narrative unfolds as the player moves through the game. The way the paths move the player through the environment and the cues that tell them where to go are important to the overall experience and work together to allow the player to understand the narrative. 



I have also continued to work with the overall atmospheric elements of the environment. I have added a basic water to the scene to create the lake and continue to experiment with the way it is working with the rest of the lighting in the scene. These standard assets, like water provided by Unity, are extremely customizable and allow for me to fit them aesthetically with the rest of my environment. 
I am also continuing to work with the way the changing lighting works within the scene and with all of the modeled elements. I have been experimenting with lens flares and customization of shadows to create a more extreme effect.

Within the interiors I have been adding elements that will push the narrative and tell the character where to go within the game. I am trying to ride the line between being vague enough to keep the narrative somewhat open ended while still giving the player enough information so that they can progress through the game. 




I am using photographs, notes, furniture and other props to give the player hints and lead them through the environment. I realize that I am being vague at this point, but that is directly related to the nature of the narrative itself. I want the players to understand the narrative in different ways dependent on what elements in the environment they are personally drawn to and make connections between as they move through to the final scene.
I will continue to tweak these narrative components as I allow people to play through and give me feedback. Hopefully this will help me to understand where more leadership is needed and where I am maybe being a little too direct with the viewer.

Next week I will show some more of the models I have been working on as well as speak to the scripting component as it relates to the narrative and interaction with the environment!

Comments

Popular Posts