Week Two

Week Two: Environment Design


I began with creating a simple layout or map of the environment I plan to create in Adobe Illustrator and then placed the image on a plane within Unity to begin to visualize the space. I want to have enough space for the player to be able to discover things in the environment as they explore but also keep the world small enough that the player feels somewhat confined within the space. I using a first person character controller in order to explore the simple map I have created within game mode in Unity. This allows me to experience the space as the player eventually will. However, I am sure the space will have to be altered once the assets are added to the game such as the buildings and trees since these objects will break up the space. I am also thinking a lot about where the player will start and first be introduced to the environment, because I would like for certain areas and objects to unfold and the player explores. By starting the player in a mostly enclosed area of the map I hope to create a more dramatic experience for the player as they advance in the game. 


I have also begun to model the 3D assets fro the environment, including the three main structures. At this point, my primary concern is the scale of the assets in relation to the environment. I want use scale to create a tension within the narrative of the game and intensify the players experience. So for now I have been exporting basic models into unity to see how they look through the perspective of the player and making adjustments before I go into more detailed modeling. 


Moving forward I am going to continue modeling and working with scale to create the ideal environment for this project. I will be working with Maya to create the 3D elements in the environment as well utilizing Photoshop, Illustrator and scanning traditional media for the 2D art assets and textures to further develop the models. 


Next week I plan to give a bit more insight into my inspirations and goals for the project!


Comments

Popular Posts