Week Three

Week Three: Exterior Structures


This week I have mainly been working on creating the models for the game and regularly placing them inside of Unity in order to see how they work together according to scale and overall layout. I am using low poly models as stand ins for the moment in Unity while I finish creating the final models in Maya. This week I thought I would drive into the three main structures within the game and the ideas behind them.

 The first house the player will likely encounter, due to its placement on the map, is the house that for now I am referring to as the forest house. This building will be nestled inside of thick forest where the rest of the environment is hidden from the players view. This house will be the most "normal" structure, in order to ease the character in to the narrative and environment.
 The path to the second building will give the player a greater sense of the environment they are dealing with as the trees become more sparse and the expansive environment reveals itself. For the second structure I want to play with the boundaries of the environment. This house will deal with the "edge" of the map in a way that will be tied to an overarching narrative.
The third building the player will encounter is the most unique. This building will be on stilts in the middle of an area the player cannot walk through (probably water). The architecture of the building will be that of typical beach house. The player will have a more difficult time figuring out how to enter this home and will have to have been to the other two buildings in order to enter.


My inspiration for this environment comes mostly from environments from my personal experiences, places that I have been familiar with for most of my life. I feel that is will be reflected in the narrative that the inspiration for these places is drawn from my own personal experience. I also want to use very specific textures when rendering the models in the environment based on both photographs and my memories attached to certain environments reflected in the game. I plan to work with traditional media in order to create these textures. I am using oil paints, ink and film photography in order to create the majority of textures found in the game. I want to explore the relationship between traditional and more contemporary media by doing so. I will talk more about this next week and show some examples that I have been working on.





Comments

Popular Posts