Week Four

Week Four: Creating Environment Assets


This week I have been focusing on the terrain of the environment. I experimented with using Maya to sculpt hills and rocks. However, after placing them into Unity, I found out that this way of working was not time effective. Instead of using Maya to create a multitude of separate pieces for the land, I decided to work with creating a 3D terrain object within Unity. This was far more effective because I was able to check the changes I was making within the game view as I sculpted. Though Maya allows for a more detailed way of working it is nice to be able to see the changes being made as you work within Unity.


I wanted to create an environment that leads the player through and reveals different elements as you progress. I think I will continue to raise and lower certain areas as I continue to work on the models and other objects. These other objects that I am creating within Maya are still in progress and I am using simple stand ins within Unity as I continue to work on the game.


I am also working on oil painting textures to use as materials for some of the objects. After I scan the paintings I will use them to make patterns that I can use for materials. Hopefully with some editing in photoshop I will be able to use the same painting for different objects.

This next week I will continue to work on the models and paintings as well as getting a start on the other scenes, such as the interiors of the houses. I originally planned to have the interior scenes in 2D rather than 3D in order to be able to explore using different mediums and ways of making assets. However, now I am rethinking some of those ideas as I see how the other assets are turning out. So that will also be something I will be experimenting with next week. 


Comments

Popular Posts